Waiakea Hawaiian Volcanic Water, a brand founded in 2012, has appeared first on a survey 10 best volcanic bottled water brands. Why did it happen?
- One reason may be the mystique of site. The Waiakea (“broad waters”) brand comes from rain and snowmelt on the peak of the famous Mauna Loa volcano in the midst of Hawaii proper (“the Big Island”). From there we are assured it is “filtered through 14,000 feet of porous volcanic rock” as a guarantee of purity.
- The water is naturally alkaline (as opposed to brands of “alkaline water” made so by ionizing machines.
- Alkalinity in water is widely thought to counteract acidity in the body and help stay near a neutral pH of 7. Waiakea is at a pH of about 8.2. This is said to offer health benefits such as such as immune system enhancing, better skin health, reduced risk of Alzheimer’s, anti-oxidant properties, and superior hydration. Alkaline water’s benefits are frequently debated, but studies have given indications that it can affect blood viscosity; and that it may counteract pepsin as a factor in acid reflux syndrome (GERD).
- Connected with this is a high content of minerals, including magnesium, potassium, calcium, and the Recommended Daily Intake of silica, which can aid the health of skin and nails.
- Waiakea concerns itself greatly with sustainability issues. Its bottles have been made from recycled polyethylene terephthalate (RPET), which besides being recycled, uses less water and less energy to make. And last year it announced it would include the additive “TimePlast”, which is designed to make plastic completely biodegradable.
- Perhaps most interesting is Waiakea’s cooperation with the humanitarian work of Pump Aid to bring water supply solutions to Africa. For every liter it sells, Waiakea donates to Pump Aid a week’s supply of clean drinking water (approximately 650 liters).
- What is beyond dispute is that people like the taste.
- Waiakea won Grub Street’s Water Taste Test in the “Niche Sparkling Mineral Waters” category.
- “….it had a very clean, pure taste. I couldn’t taste anything ‘off’ and it was very crisp.” (http://www.jerseygirltalk.com/2017/08/05/waiakea-hawaiian-volcanic-water-review/)
- “Can’t stop drinking this water. It is so clean, refreshing, and just plain good!” (Amazon customer)
If this makes you want to try it, it can be ordered by the case from this site.
Leave a reply